If you’re looking for a quick but healthy snack to eat while you’re busy working, running around and/or taking care of your family, consider quinoa. Known as the “mother” of all grains, quinoa (pronounced keen-wa) is actually not a grain at all, but a relative of leafy green vegetables like spinach and kale. But because of its texture, it’s eaten like a grain. And it’s packed with nutrients perfect for a quick snack.
• A complete protein, which means that it includes all 9 amino acids
• A great source of magnesium and riboflavin, both of which help fight headaches and aid in cardiovascular health
• Rich in fiber, which offers protection against breast cancer
• Rich in powerful phytonutrients that aid in overall health
• Full of manganese and copper, both of which are antioxidants
The health benefits of quinoa are amazing, especially for women. And another plus is how easy and versatile it is.
Make a big batch at the beginning of the week and then add to it for a quick snack or lunch that will keep you full and energized.
Some items to consider adding to already-cooked quinoa, which you can mix and match according to your taste:
• Avocado slices
• Orange segments
• Crushed pistachios
• Pine nuts
• Caramelized onions + garlic (one of my favorite additions!)
• Raw spinach, chopped
• Sautéed wild mushrooms
• Fresh basil
• Hard-boiled egg
• Chopped tomato
• Diced peppers
• Sliced apples
• Whatever fruits + veggies you like!
Eating quinoa, and keeping a batch in your refrigerator, is a super easy way to eat healthy while you’re busy with other things. So skip the crackers, bagels, cookies and processed foods that are so easy to reach for—and reach instead for quinoa.